You can no longer contribute to The Canada RSP or The Canada RIF because funds in these plans were invested in Canada Savings Bonds and Canada Premium Bonds which are no longer available for purchase.
Managing your plan
The option to transfer new funds into your plan is no longer available, but your current funds are safe and guaranteed.
- Your funds will continue to be reinvested and earn interest, but only until November 1 or December 1, 2021 (depending on the maturity date of the bond series within your plan).
- After the 2021 maturity date, the funds in your Canada RSP or Canada RIF will remain accessible to you, however your plan will no longer earn interest.
As a plan holder, you can transfer funds from your Canada RSP or Canada RIF to another registered retirement savings vehicle without penalty.
To initiate the transfer, visit your financial institution or RSP administrator.
Contact Customer Service to redeem the funds held in your plan. If you withdraw funds from your Canada RSP or Canada RIF:
- Your withdrawal will be subject to a withholding tax.
Canada RIF owners may choose to count their withdrawal as part of their annual minimum payment for tax purposes.
- You will need to declare the proceeds as income for the year in which they are withdrawn.
Getting your statements
Keep yourself informed of your holdings.
Semi-annual statements for Canada RSP Plan owners are mailed as of:
- June 30
- December 31
Quarterly statements for Canada RIF Plan owners are mailed as of:
- March 31
- June 30
- September 30
- December 31 — includes payment details for the following year